RACIAL JUSTICE RISING
MASS SLAVERY APOLOGY
Resources for Racial Justice
A once or twice monthly e-newsletter with links to events, articles, videos, websites, & more relating to racism & racial justice.
Next Saturday, June 4th
10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. (doors open at 10)
First Congregational Church, 43 Silver Street, Greenfield MA 01301
Please join us in conversation
We will listen to concerns, share our thinking up to this point, and discuss how to move forward. We know we have made mistakes and that some are angry, hurt, or feel marginalized by us. We assume all will come in good faith as we will.
The conversation may include:
-What happened before, during and after our Jan. 9th program, White Privilege Then and Now
- How we will move forward
- Comments & questions
Everyone's input is welcome.
We look forward to seeing you.
Become an active member of RJR!
We have heard from many people who are looking forward to Racial Justice Rising resuming our monthly programs and contributing to other activities in our community.
We are a tiny all-volunteer group and will need more active participation in order to resume our programs or initiate other activities. Would YOU like to join us in so we can make this happen?
We are planning a meeting on Wednesday evening, June 8th to talk about ways community members can contribute. Please email us to learn more.
Join us on Saturday mornings! (click for share-able, printable flyer)
Articles, websites, and other resources
- Today in history: May 31st is the anniversary of the 1921 bombing of Black Wall Street in Oklahoma.
-The Destruction of Black Wall Street by Josie Pickens at Ebony
- A Black Holocaust in America by the Black Holocaust Society
- Yesterday was Memorial Day. Read about the origins of Memorial Day, from the African American Registry
- Tales of African American History Found in DNA, by Carl Zimmer at the New York Times
- A new database will document burial sites of U.S. slaves, by Allison Meier at Hyperallergic
Black Lives Matter
- A video of the Black Lives Matter Community Forum held on 3/21/16 in Amherst MA, from Amherst Media
- Racist U.S. court rulings deny citizenship to American Samoans, from Pema Levy at Mother Jones
Criminal Justice & Injustice
- New study shows why having a predominantly white police force is dangerous to the Black community, a video from Atlanta Black Star
- Five Ways to End the School To Prison Pipeline, from Fusion.net
- Muslim Youth Read Japanese-American Internees' Heartbreaking "Letters From Camp," by Sameer Rao at Colorlines
- Race and...: A series of videos from Race Forward exploring the ways race compounds and intersects with all the other issues faced by people of color.
Native American History
- Yes, Native Americans were the victims of genocide, by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz at History News Network
- Peskeompskot, The Great Falls: Part 1 of a 5-part podcast of the history of the Great Falls on the Connecticut River in western MA. From The Beacon Tree.
Other groups’ events:
- We welcome your feedback!
- Please share with others who might be interested.